“It’s the most wonderful time of the year…” as that Christmas classic song flows through the speakers, I think we each feel our hearts expand a bit more. Memories, fun things to do, a lot of work – yes it’s the Christmas season!
If you spend much time with me you quickly find out that Christmas is my absolute favorite season of the year. I love making memories, keeping traditions and finding new ways to celebrate the season as we celebrate Jesus’ birth. We have moved a lot and when we get to a new town I always look for the local seasonal activities to see what we can start doing.
This is a big reason for why I wanted to put this list together of 11 awesome kid friendly Christmas activities in OKC.
Table of Contents
Tree Lighting Ceremonies in OKC
- Bricktown Tree Lighting Ceremony – The main feature for the season is the Tree Lighting Ceremony in downtown OKC at Bricktown – From their site – “The festival, which is free and open to everyone, will include family-friendly activities such as photos with Santa Claus, face painting, caricatures, a Magic Elf, and more. Bring your kiddos to the Letters to Santa station sponsored by OG&E where they can write and place their letters to Santa in our North Pole mailbox, as well as decorate downtown-themed holiday postcards to take home or mail. The main attraction of the evening will be a showcase of diverse holiday performances leading up to and following the countdown to the lighting of the Christmas tree by Mayor David Holt.” Find all the details here.
- Edmond also hosts a tree lighting ceremony as well as one held in Norman at Andrews Park.
Drive Through Christmas Lights
You really can’t get through a Christmas season without a few night outings for Christmas lights. Throw on the Christmas pajamas, fill mugs with hot chocolate, blast the Christmas music and drive through the holiday displays!
- Yukon Christmas in the Park – boasting of over 5 million lights and over 500 one of a kind light displays this is a Christmas light show not to miss!
- OKC ZOO Safari Lights – purchase tickets for this classic OKC experience at the Zoo’s website. Walkthrough and drive through available.
- Midwest City Lights Spectacular
Walk Through Christmas Light Displays
- Goldsby – this sweet set up at the Goldsby Community Park is a walk through only but quick and great for little children.
- Chickasaw – this immersive 43 acre walk through experience is one not to miss!
- Lumiance at Mitch Park in Edmond
If fresh air and a bit of exercise is more your style, then don the hats, scarves and coats and head out with the family to do these immersive walk through holiday light shows.
I was particularly delighted to find this free family friendly Sounds of the Season Christmas Concert. I have fond memories of a similar concert being a tradition of my childhood so thrilled to continue that in a different city with my girls!
- Chisholm Creek Christmas Village – live music, a variety of vendors, complimentary photos with Santa, live reindeer and more!
- Czech Market in Yukon – huge variety of vendors, take a photo with Santa and get to watch classic Czech dancers.
- Downtown Christmas Pop Ups – a fun festive Christmas Shopping Experience
Cut down your own Christmas Tree
Our family loves going out opening weekend to Wells Christmas Tree Farm to cut down our own tree. A fresh cut tree last so long and smells so good! Opening weekend at Wells includes food trucks, live music and photos with Santa.
Tree Farms in the OKC area
- Wells Christmas Tree Farm in Norman, OK
- Sorghum Mills Christmas Tree Farm in Edmond, OK
- All Pine Christmas Tree Farm in Yukon, OK
- Cross Timbers and Wonderland Pine in Harrah, OK
For most families a classic Santa experience is a must for the holiday season. For a beautiful, personal experience I recommend booking a session with Laccee Smith Photography or you can do a quick free photo at the numerous free pop up Santas at the several winter festivals or go to Winter Wonderland at Bass Pro Shops – make your reservation here.
Have a kid who loves the Polar Express? Make their favorite movie come true with this one of kind experience brought to you by the OKC railway Museum. Tickets and open dates can be find at their website.
Considered a must do by OKC families this fun Christmas adventure is for all ages. Get to tour Santa’s workshop, help the elves, meet and greet with Mr and Mrs Claus and experience the magic of the season.
Drive Through Living Nativity
This large production with live animals put on by the OKC Bethesda church is a highlight for many. Held December 15-17, 2023 6-9pm. Check their facebook page for updates.
Myriad Botanical Gardens in downtown OKC hosts so many delightful activities for the holiday season. Pick a nice night and do one of my girls favorite activity on the 11 awesome kid friendly Christmas activities in OKC list – playing on the children’s playground all lit up by Christmas lights!
- walk through light displays (daily)
- Devon Ice Skate Rink
- Gingerbread Class
- Photos with Santa Blair
Christmas Tree Farm Photo Session
Get your classic holiday family photo at a local Christmas Tree Farm. My sold out mini sessions are a highlight for OKC family’s.
No Christmas season goes by without for sure listening (and/or watching this timeless Christmas Production. Go see it live with the award winning OKC ballet that runs from December 8 – 17 for 2023. Not for young children.
OKC Area Christmas Theater Productions
- A Christmas Carol
- Little Women by Storytellers Theater – an immersive holiday experience at the Harn Homestead put on by Storytellers OKC
Other fun activities that I wasn’t quite sure how to categorize for this list of 11 awesome kid friendly Christmas Activities in OKC but look delightful! And stop over to see this daily list on the Metro Family site with so many things to do!
- Victorian Nights in Guthrie – walk through downtown Guthrie to view live Christmas Victorian displays, get a glimpse of Santa and the reindeer, listen to carols and do a bit of Christmas shopping
And if you’re looking for outfit inspiration for holiday photos take a look at this November Style Board that gives you ideas for beautiful outfits for holiday sessions.
Charis is a documentary newborn and family photographer serving the OKC area. She specializes in at home photo sessions that are relaxed, joyful and give you images you will cherish for years to come. Her photography has been featured worldwide and she is a proud member of the Professional Photographers of America. She delights in serving families by telling their unique and special stories in photography. Charis Elisabeth Photography services the metro Oklahoma City area.